West Edmonton Mall

Hey everyone. Today I will blog about West Edmonton Mall. (Or WEM)

WEM is a mall in Edmonton and it is really big. I have been there twice as long as I remember. It has two floors but it is really big so it is not like Polo Park, it is probably three times bigger at least. There is a lot of really cool places there. Obviously there is lots of stores because it is a mall but it also has other things like an amusement park and go karts. It is a really cool place. There is even a hotel! For all my sports lovers out there, there is the biggest Sport Chek I have ever seen there. You think it  ends soon but it literally just keeps going and going. There is an arcade there called the Rec Room (not the same company as Winnipeg’s) There is also a body of water in it with a pirate ship in it. The amusement park is called Galaxyland. I only went in there once but it was pretty fun when I went when I was younger. Oh, and it has an Ice rink IN THE MALL and the Edmonton Oilers practiced at that rink sometimes back in Gretzky’s time.

Park Map | West Edmonton Mall

My favourite part about WEM is the World Waterpark. It is massive and its so cool. The main feature is a wave pool that is humongous and it makes big waves for 15 minutes and then has no waves for 15 minutes. It is really crowded but also really fun because the waves get massive and push you back. Then there’s the waterslides. There is a couple kiddie slides that are boring but my top two favourite are Nessie’s Revenge (It’s now purple but was blue in the picture) and the Sky Screamer (The big yellow and Blue slides)

Nessie’s revenge is a fast slide that is a decent height. There is three drops. The first one is almost instantly so you don’t get airborne and then you go fast down the drop. Then it juts out for another drop and you can get airborne sometimes but not consistently. Then, on the last drop, you go in the air for a good time, but the slide is angled so it doesn’t hurt when you come back down. It is extremely fun. The Sky Screamer is more basic but more scary. It isn’t actually that scary but for sure the second most scary slide there is. There is a loop slide but when I was there last time it wasn’t open so the Sky Screamer was the scariest at the time. To get into the Sky screamer you get into a clear cylinder and it counts you down. “3…2…1…cccccchhhhhh” And the floor drops out. You end up going straight down and then eventually it evens out. It is really fun but it is only about 2 seconds long so there is nothing to be afraid of. And keep in mind, both these slides are atleast 2 times faster than the red slide here in Arborg and probably more. Other slides I like are the Blue Bullet and the tan long one, but I forget its name. The waterpark also has two really long hot tubs that lots of people are always in so it is quite crowded usually. Then there is a waterpark for little kids. The biggest problem there is finding a chair. The place is always so crowded so it is hard to find a place to put your shirt if you didn’t leave it in your locker. There is also ziplines there but is closed down for COVID-19.

World Waterpark at West Edmonton Mall - WhiteWater

World Waterpark

WEM has a lot of food courts. When I was there there was at least four and some restaurants are scattered among the stores. There is also an IMAX there but I have never been inside. Some other attractions include VR, the Lego Store, and mini golf. If you are ever going to Edmonton make sure you check WEM out. It is a really cool place and I’m sure you would like it, even if you just shop at the stores.

West Edmonton Mall on Twitter: "Here is the map including player locations for Monday's @EdmontonOilers Autograph Session! Find all the info for the Open Practice and Autograph Session here https://t.co/8XB7L2y5Mj.… https://t.co/vSN3tAWXGY"

This is the layout of WEM as of January 24th, 2020. Ignore the Oiler’s player signings.

Here is WEMs website if you want to learn more about WEM.

If you want to watch the point of view of all the other slides, watch this video.