Spring Hockey

Hello, today I will talk about my spring hockey this year.

Spring hockey is an extra small season during the spring when kids’ regular season hockey is over. Most of the teams is either in Winnipeg or  Brandon for Manitoba. There is two organizations that make spring hockey in Winnipeg. MJI (Manitoba Junior Ice) and PHD (Proffesional Hockey Developement). MJI has more teams but I play on PHD. PHD’s teams are the PHD Elite, PHD silver, and PHD black. I am on the silver which is the second best team. We played the black and won 6-5 while missing some players and they were also missing some players, however if we both had all our players I think we still would have won because I think our team is better.

In spring hockey the main way of playing is by tournaments. We played 3 tournaments this year. The first one was the Spring Shootout, which we lost in the bronze game to the MJI Chill. Then we had a Regina Tournament that we played in the Gold division for some reason instead of the silver so we were playing against 6 foot beasts who I can barely believe are 2009’s. We got clobbered. Our only game we scored a goal was in the last one where we lost 13-5. Throughout that tournament I had a lot of close chances of scoring or getting assists but I was barely missing the back of the net. In the first tournament I did not play great but in the last game I got a goal and an assist. I also levelled some kids through those tournaments, since this year hitting started.

The final tournament was the North American Hockey Classic Super Elite tournament. I missed our first game for the band concert but the won 4-1. Our goalie faced 45 shots and let in only one goal. For the next game I came back and played a good game but I had no goals but I had some good chances and levelled someone. In the second game I hit a couple kids and also scored a  goal. We got a power play and our center, Jimmy, won the puck back to our defense, Cole. He shot it low and I tipped it with my stick the opposite direction of where it was going. The goalie got a piece of it but left a rebound for an easy tap in. The third game started at 8:00 so I had to get up at 6:30. Luckily where I was staying was close to the arena. Some kids had to get up at around 4 or 5 because they were out of the city. In that game I cranked someone and had two goals. One of them was basically the exact same play as the goal in the game before, but my second goal was different. Our center won the faceoff forward and battled the puck through past both the defense. He couldn’t get to the puck in time so I grabbed it and had a breakaway. I sniped it middle left. With two goals and a big hit I got the Game Star. Then, the next day in the gold medal game, I had so many chances where I almost scored but couldn’t get it in. At first I was on the penalty kill and the puck was getting tossed around in their zone. They made a mistake and the puck went free at about the top of the left circle. I was circling back from the lower circle and picked up the puck. First I had to skate around one defenseman protecting the puck. Then when I got free I saw the opportunity and backhand toe dragged around the other defense. Then I had a free shot on net. I saw the mid-low left side of the net open so I went for it but I hit the post and it bounced out the other side. Then, on another PK, I hopped on the ice right when the puck was coming to my area. I picked it up and skated in a little bit. Then I shot from above the circles. It was a muffin but looked like it was heading top cheese. Then, unfortunately, it dinged off the crossbar. We still won the game and celebrated with our gold medal and banner. It was a great way to finish off the spring season.

Here is a link to the North American Hockey Classic Super Elite website.