Predictions for NHL Playoffs part 3 Pacific Divsion

Welcome back to my playoff predictions. This week we are going to predict the outcomes of the Pacific division.

First up is the Calgary Flames taking on the Nashville Predators.

This series has a chance at a sweep. However, the other way than you are thinking. I think Nashville will take this series. Although, it is going to be close games almost all the way through. I think maybe a Game 5 Preds win would make the most sense. In the season series, Nashville has both games won in OT and a shootout. So obviously it is close, but the Predators have playoff experience and a slight edge. Starting off with the forwards. Johnny Gaudreau is the star in this series. He will be the only reason the Flames can get close in their games. Matthew Tkachuk is pretty good but I think he will try to be more of a rat than a threat in the playoffs because he will think that would help more. However, the Predators are pretty tough and I think they can easily take on dirty Matty. Nashville doesn’t have a 100 point scorer on offense, but Duchene has been insane this year with a 40 goal season.  Filip Forsberg has a 1.19 PPG average. Johanson has a 0.8 PPG  and can step up if he needs to. For defense Nashville has the obvious edge. Rasmus Andersson and Noah Hanfin are decent. Roman Josi, though, is insane. He has a possible chance at 100 points this year, although he will probably end at over 90. He has 20 goals as a defense! Plus he is great at defense.  Mathias Ekholm is really good at defense and Ryan Ellis is about Rasmus Andersson level. The only way Calgary could pull this out is their goalie. Markstrom is really good this year. Saros is also pretty good this year, but not quite as good as Markstrom. If Calgary pulls this one out it will be because for at least 4 games Markstrom will be a brick wall. However, when the pressure gets turned on, Saros is insane too. I think Nashville is going to upset the Calgary Flames and move on to the second round using only 5 of 7 games.

Calgary Flames finally back playing after COVID protocol

Nashville Predators Prepare for Free Agency with Money to Spend

Next is Edmonton Oilers vs. Los Angeles Kings

I think Edmonton can take this one. In the season series they are 3-1-0 against the Kings. The Kings have a couple old washed up players who have playoff experience, but their star players besides Kopitar are too young. They could pull out a couple wins but I don’t think LA has a chance at this series. First up, offense: McDavid and Draisaitl is so much better than anyone and combined they are insane. Plus, Hyman, and  Nuge, are pretty good too. On the Kings, Kopitar with a 0.81 PPG average is their best player. Then it’s Kempe, who can score goals  when needed, and Danault, who might not even get 50 points this year! Oilers have offense in the bag. Then we have defense. Tyson Barrie and Darnell Nurse are solid and the  rest of the Oilers defense is okay as well. Duncan Keith has lots of experience in the playoffs and could help the team through this series. On the Kings, Drew Doughty has a 0.79 PPG and is solid at defense, but the next best defense on their team is Sean Durzy. Edmonton takes that easily. Then goaltending. Mike Smith showed he still had it last year but this year he has lost some skill. However, I would take him over any LA Kings goalie any day. Edmonton is sweeping this series 4-0.

4/6 Practice - Busy w/ Bodies + Full-Team Practice, Special Teams Notes,  Peters On Prospects - LA Kings Insider

Five questions facing Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton Oilers vs Nashville Predators

I think Edmonton has this series also but it will be a lot closer. Edmonton beat Nashville last time they played 4-0, but that might have been a fluke. I think Game 6 is where Edmonton will make it to the Conference finals. On offense, obviously McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, and Hyman is better than Duchene, Johanson, and Forsberg. On defense, Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis is slightly better than Nurse, Barrie, and Keith, but not by so much that it will make a difference in the series. In goaltending, Saros will be able to be a better goalie, but Mike Smith can hold his own enough to save the team. I think every game will be close, but Nashville needs to shut down McDavid and Draisaitl. Edmonton needs to shut down Josi, Duchene, and Forsberg. Even though Nashville has more players that are threats, you can tell who is going to be bigger problems. Edmonton can take this series in Game 6.

Who do you want the Edmonton Oilers to face in the first round of the  playoffs?

Who are the Real Nashville Predators? - The Hockey News

Edmonton Oilers rally for thrilling win over Rangers on Kevin Lowe Night at  Rogers Place - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

Here is a link to ESPN’s playoff picture and matchups.                                        

Bye!